cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [Discuss] Cpu and Ram overcommit.
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:53:11 GMT
Hi  All,

I have included  the information form the discussions in the functional spec  and I think
we have sufficient  information  to start the implementation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bharat Kumar [mailto:bharat.kumar@citrix.com]
Sent: Thursday, 17 January 2013 11:01 PM
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Cc: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Discuss] Cpu and Ram overcommit.

Alex thank you for your suggestions, I  will add them to the functional spec.

Bharat.

On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:19 AM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> Bharat,
>
> A few comments.
>
> - On your caveats, I think you should deploy 2b.  Accept the change but not add more
VMs anymore.  You can provide a warning.

> - As for repeated alerts, that's a problem with the alert mechanism.  It should not repeat
alerts.  Fix it there.

> On implementation:
> - You need to add something more generic such as a cluster-details to cluster that allows
you retrieve what you want to add to it.  I don't see any reason to keep adding columns to
cluster/pods.  Cluster/pods are organization units.  We should add a details table (might
already there) to keep component details because no one else will use this detail information.
 I don't see why we need to add database columns for this.
> - How are you planning to handle hypervisors that cannot overcommit cpu or ram?  To me
this needs capabilities added to the hypervisor caps table.
> - This is a planner specific change.  Make sure the changes are localized in the planner.
 If there's anything you need to change in CloudStack core/server, please point that out in
a subtask for your bug and let me know.

> --Alex

>>> 2.) ram overcommit feature in xen and kvm. ( It is there for
>>> VMware.)