cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Trevor Francis <trevor.fran...@tgrahamcapital.com>
Subject Re: Reimage Instance
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:47:11 GMT
Chiradeep,

Any idea as far as timeline?

Trevor Francis
Partner
46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
720-214-3643- Voice
trevor@46labs.com

Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry

On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:

> The 'restoreVm' API is being enhanced for this purpose. See
> http://markmail.org/thread/rc4ycjo5segasbtm
>
> From: Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 13:52:47 -0800
> To: CloudStack Users <cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org<mailto:cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: RE: Reimage Instance
>
> Hi,
>
> It is not currently supported, but have no clue whether it will be supported later or
not.
> CS is using linked in clones so you just cannot simply replace the template the VM is
based on because the VMs ROOT volume depends on it.
> To “re-image” basically you’d need to destroy the VM with its disks then re-deploy
it with the new template but because it is a new VM new IP will be allocated for it.
> If you want the new VM with a specific (previous) IP address you’ll need to manually
edit the database.

> Regards

a template. Is this a feature that will fundamentally not be supported Cloudstack, or just
one that isnt supported currently?

> Regards,
>

> Trevor Francis
> Partner
> 46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
> http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
> 720-214-3643- Voice
> trevor@46labs.com<mailto:trevor@46labs.com>
>
> Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry
>
> [cid:image001.jpg@01CDEAC4.1D9499E0] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDEAC4.1D9499E0]
>
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m using advanced vlan isolated networking with dhcp.
> For me the internal IPs do not matter as the public IP belongs to the account and the
virtual router will sort out the rest.

> Via the GUI you cannot preserve IPs but manually via the database you can change what
IP belongs to what VM.

> My recovery procedure is to deploy a brand new VM, re-attach the data volume to it and
update the firewall/static-nat rules if any to the new VM.

> Regards

again....assuming you are using advanced networking and dhcp?

> Trevor Francis
> Partner
> 46 Labs | PeerEdge Cloud Switch (PeCS)
> http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
> 720-214-3643- Voice
> trevor@46labs.com<mailto:trevor@46labs.com>
>
> Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry
>
> [cid:image001.jpg@01CDEABF.B5AA1C50] [cid:image002.jpg@01CDEABF.B5AA1C50]
>
> On Jan 4, 2013, at 2:46 PM, Tamas Monos <tamasm@veber.co.uk<mailto:tamasm@veber.co.uk>>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don’t think there is.
> You can change the template of your VM by manually editing the database and then shut
it down and restart it.
> This way at the next start CS will re-deploy the new template for the VM and start it.
>
> Please be aware this is not recommended in production due to this method will confuse
the storage clean-up scripts and will kill your live VM in case the old template it was based
on no longer required.
> It is always recommended to create a new VM instance with the new template.
>
> Regards

new template? I see a way in the API, but nothing in the UI.