cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nux! <...@li.nux.ro>
Subject Re: best supported hypervisor
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:43:45 GMT
On 10.01.2013 03:50, Mathias Mullins wrote:
> Nux,
>
> What your use case? Are you trying a pay for hypervisor, or
> OpenSource? What are the top 5 features you are looking for?
>
> That makes a difference in the question.
>
> Matt

Hello Mathias,

I prefer open source, kvm+libvirt whenever possible; I have worked with
xen/xenserver before though and I could give it a try once again if it
checks all the boxes.

At the end of the day I want a solution that is reliable; to be honest
I almost went with Openstack in production, but there're some
show-stoppers for me, like 1:1 NAT which simply does not work for
everyone no matter how excited they  get about it.

So what I'm hoping from cloudstack is:
- able to assign public IPs to VMs
- not trap me in the 4094 vlan limit (hence the need for gre or smth
else)
- ipv6 (i understand this is coming in 4.1)
- decent upgradability, so next `yum update` won't make the wheels fall
off

Of course, now that I've been reading/watching stuff about Cloudstack I
discovered all sorts of nice stuff that I want, like multiple types of
primary storage etc.

Any pointers?

Nux!
www.nux.ro