cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Cpu and Ram overcommit.
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:16:10 GMT
Hi Hari,

 A host can have more than one tag so we need not overwrite the inherited cluster  tag of
a host, if a host specific tag is added.

Bharat

On Dec 26, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Bharat Kumar <bharat.kumar@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Presently in Cloudstack  there is a provision for cpu overcommit and no provision for
the ram overcommit. There is no way to configure the overcommit ratios on a per cluster basis.

> So we propose to add a new feature to allow the ram overcommit and to specify the overcommit
ratios ( cpu/ram ) on a per cluster basis.

> Motivation to add the feature:
> Most of the operating systems and applications do not use the allocated resources to
100%. This makes it possible to allocate more resource than what is actually available.  The
overcommitting of resources allows to run the  underutilized VMs in fewer number of hosts,
This saves money and power. Currently the cpu overcommit  ratio is a global parameter which
means there is no way to fine tune or have a granular control over the overcommit ratios.