cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Matt Hohman <mhoh...@newheights.org>
Subject Re: Help with advanced zone kvm networking setup.
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:54:08 GMT
Geoff,
Thanks for the clarity. I wish I would have asked this question a couple weeks ago.

Thanks,
Matt Hohman
Technical Ministries
New Heights Church

On Jan 21, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> The main problem I see with your design is with relation to the Storage Network using
a VLAN.

> There is a lot of confusion within CloudStack relating to the 'Storage Network' as it
relates to Secondary and NOT Primary Storage.

> If you choose to use the Storage Network, it is only worthwhile doing so if you have
NIC(s) you can dedicate to it, once configured it is used by the SSVM to transfer Snapshots,
Templates etc to and from Secondary Storage.  If you place it on a unique VLAN and IP Range,
the SSVM AND the CloudStack management Server must be able to communicate with it.

> With regard to VLANs, just make sure the switch ports are configured for the VLAN IDs
you want to use, CloucStack will configure the VLANs on the Hypervisors for you

> I suggest you take a look at the following
>
> Paul Angus' Blog on understanding the physical network
> http://www.shapeblue.com/2013/01/07/understanding-cloudstacks-physical-networking-architecture/
>
> You may also find My blog on CloudStack Networking usefull, a little old now but still
pertinent
> http://www.shapeblue.com/2012/05/01/cloudstack-networking-considerations/
>
> There is also a recording of the 'Introduction to Networking' talk I gave at the CloudStack
Collaboration Conference in Las Vegas recently
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIV9D2jYid0
>

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Here is a rundown of how we are trying to get this going.

> 5 KVM Ubuntu 12.03 Hypervisors with 2 nics each
>
> on eth0
>
> management network is untagged 10.0.220.0/24 vlan 3001 tagged storage 10.0.221.0/24
>
> on eth1
> vlan 101 tagged Public 107.xxx.xxx.0/24
> vlan 3100 - 3199 tagged Guest 10.0.223.0/24
>
> KVM Hots are on:
> 10.0.220.101 mngt 10.0.221.101 storage
> 10.0.220.102 mngt 10.0.221.102 storage
> 10.0.220.103 mngt 10.0.221.103 storage
> 10.0.220.104 mngt 10.0.221.104 storage
> 10.0.220.105 mngt 10.0.221.105 storage
>
> Cloudstack 4.0 is installed on Ubuntu 12.04 on ip 10.0.220.2 NFS is 10.0.221.200
>
> Does this network scheme work well for cloudstack? Is there something that should be
changed?

> I'm a little confused on how to set this setup properly in /etc/network/interfaces. Do
I need to manually define all 100 guest vlans? How do I setup the guest bridge?

> When I'm adding the zone to cloudstack what should my network labels be and do I assign
these in the /etc/network/interfaces file?

> Here is my attempt at /etc/network/interfaces for host1
>
> ### /etc/network/interfaces
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # Hypervisor Management
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>    address 10.0.220.101
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 10.0.220.1
>    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
>
> #cloud-store storage network
> auto eth0.3001
> iface eth0.3001 inet static
>    address 10.0.221.101
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>

> # Public network
> auto cloudbr0
> iface cloudbr0 inet manual
>    bridge_ports eth1.101
>    bridge_fd 5
>    bridge_stp off
>    bridge_maxwait 1
> ### EOF
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Hohman
> Technical Ministries
> New Heights Church
> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting and implementation services

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,