cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nick Wales <n...@nickwales.co.uk>
Subject Re: Highly Available DNS
Date Fri, 25 Jan 2013 02:46:43 GMT

On 24 Jan 2013, at 17:37, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Nick Wales <nick@nickwales.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm setting up a basic zone with shared networking and my last stumbling block is
the single VR providing DHCP and DNS.

>> Our plan was to setup conditional forwarding on our existing DNS servers to the cloudstack
VR however what we're concerned about is the lack of high availability. I realise the instance
can be restarted should any issues arise, however a) this creates a period of downtime and
b) if we need to destroy and recreate there's no guarantee it will come back on the same IP…
in fact we've tested and it came back on a different address.

>> This leaves us with a single forwarding option that could potentially change requiring
a manual update elsewhere. Is there anything we can do to alleviate these concerns other than
setup an alternative which would insert and remove records into our existing DNS servers.

>> Nick
>
> Redundant VR?
>
> --David

Not an option for a shared network offering. I'd need to have an isolated network offering
with Source Nat enabled. Not sure I understand why it suddenly becomes important in that configuration
and not others.