cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Ioan Eugen Stan <stan.ieu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cloudstack features wish-list
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:13:43 GMT
Hello,

Disclaimer: I'm rather new to cloudstack.

I think some nice to have features for CloudStack to have are:

- Idempotent requests like amazon aws [1] : " When you launch an
instance through the command line tools or API, you can optionally
provide a client token. If timeouts or connection errors occur, you
can repeat the request and be sure you haven't launched more instances
than you intended."

- batch operations - issue status checks, create virtual machine calls
for a group, not just individual calls. This creates the possibility
to launch a few hundred VM's and monitor their progress without making
too requests for each one. (also implemented by Amazon AWS)

[1] http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/Run_Instance_Idempotency.html

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM, John Kinsella <jlk@stratosec.co> wrote:
> Yep, my intent was to head in that direction, but as a pre-cursor I just wanted to start
gathering the bits while we figured out a voting solution.

> John
>
> On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Kevin Kluge <Kevin.Kluge@citrix.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> In other communities I've seen voting into the bug database work well.  In these
communities a person that wants some feature follows this procedure:
>> - search for it in bug db
>> - file an enhancement request if not found
>> - vote for it
>>
>> Then everyone can do searches to show items listed by number of votes and see what
is wanted broadly, and add their votes if they want.  And we can look backwards to see what
highly-voted items have been addressed (or see that we are failing to address highly-voted
items).  Those things are hard to convey in a wiki page.  Sometimes I have seen communities
set up web pages that pull this data from the bug db dynamically.  That could be used to create
something like the wiki page you set up.

--
Ioan Eugen Stan / CTO / http://axemblr.com