cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Trevor Francis <trevor.fran...@tgrahamcapital.com>
Subject KVM network flood
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:14:47 GMT
I have gone through multiple iterations of my setup over the past 2 months with support from
the IRC channel and cannot overcome a network flood. I have changed bonding modes, switch
ports, complete switches, network topology and anything else I can think of to fix this issue.
Here is what happens.

- I currently have CS 3.02 running on KVM hypervisors.
- My host machines have 6 nics. Those nics are split into 2 bonds (management and guest) physical
networks. There are 4 bonds in guest and 2 bonds in management. Public and guest traffic go
over guest network on 2 separate VLANS and management/storage goes over the management physical.
- The 2 bonds management are split between 2 trunked switches (for fault tolerance at the
switch level). The 4 bonds on the guest network are split between 2 trunked switches, so there
is a total of 4 switches in my network. The guest network switches have hsrp uplinks to our
core router for internet services.
- I have spanning tree enabled on the switches and on the cloud bridges as well as the VLANs
in the switches.
- I have enabled advanced networking.

To allows a private network (guest) and a public network (shared public) to be bound on separate
ethernet interfaces for my guest VMs (eth0 and eth1), I create a default isolated network
for the guest network and creates a shared public network for the public network. Guest network
is on VLAN 11 and public is on VLAN 10.

The storage network works fine, no floods, nothing unusual. (For all intents and purposes
the network is configured exactly like the guest network, with 2 less interfaces in the bond).

The isolated guest network works fine as well, nothing unusual. However, when I spin up an
instance that I have a public network bound to, the flood begins. It is interesting to note
the the flood begins from the VR and not the guest. As soon as the VR is spun up, it starts
flooding. If I create a shared network WITHOUT utilizing any services requiring the VR, the
network will come up fine...but I have to manually add an IP address to the machine instead
of letting the VR assign it through DHCP. I created a new NO for the shared network I am using
and only selected DHCP as the services offered....same issue happens with flooding.

I am at my wits end here and dont know how to resolve this. Has anyone else had this issue?

Trevor Francis
Partner
46 Labs | The PeerEdge Cloud
http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
405-362-0046 - Voice  | 405-410-4980 - Cell
trevorgfrancis - Skype
trevor@46labs.com

Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry