cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Cloudstack + kvm : set arch = i686
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:50:11 GMT
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Julien Garet <julien.garet@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> We have discovered something today we didn't expect... We are using CS 3.0.2 with KVM
hypervisors. Our users want to be able to use 32 or 64 bits VMs, so, we have set up templates
using 32 or 64 bits OSes (setting OS type 32 or 64 bits accordingly), but that does not have
any impact on the VM deployed... arch option in the domain xml file is x86_64, whatever we
choose as OS Type.

> Is there a way to deploy 32bits VMs on 64bits hypervisors ?

The arch of the operating system is different than the arch of the
virtualized CPU (which is what I think you are referring to).
What benefit do you expect to extract from having a virtualized 32bit
CPU compared to a virtualized 64bit cpu? Do users that have physical
machines in your environment note that you deployed a 32bit OS on a
64bit CPU?

--David