cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: new features
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:00:27 GMT
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chip
> Agreed: I think it is absolutely essential that the USERS  of Cloudstack help drive the
new features and roadmap of the product. We are the people at the "coalface", we are the people
who hear feedback from our businesses & customers on a daily basis

> As an example, I saw a mail (yesterday?) about the lack of password reset. To many in
this community, that is probably a trivial issue. However, I can tell everybody that it is
the number 1 feature complaint I get from Cloudstack customers. In the real world, it just
isn't sensible to deploy a user facing GUI if users cannot reset their own passwords. Features
like this may not be as high profile and interesting as others, but they are things that make
a difference when people decide whether to use CS or not

> What you suggest is exactly what I intend doing.... my session at Collab is called "
Feedback from the coalface: what our customers are asking for". I intend to make it an interactive
discussion/workshop for people to bring in their ideas of great new features. If we get enough
ideas, we may even have a vote on preferences and priorities.
> Although that workshop wouldn't be a formal Apache workshop, I would like to think that
we can bring those ideas into the community for consideration afterwards.

Just to correct something minor:  There isn't such a think as a
"formal Apache workshop".  New features can be proposed, but they have
to end up as proposals on the dev list for the project.

But I get your point...  and if you (and other users) are able to
collectively pull together feature requests and some level of measured
interest, you (or someone else) can bring those over to the dev list
via feature requests.

Building up an active user community that helps drive features for the
devs is a great initiative.  I'd love to see this evolve into a very
active feedback loop!

> In advance of this session, what I'm trying to do is take stock of what is already  requested
and/or planned. And so far (from my previous) I see only 12 open requests.

> Thinking about it, if anybody has any good ideas for feature requests, it would be great
if you're able to share them on this list (or PM me if you prefer)  - I can then feed those
ideas into the session at Collab.
> Also thinking about it Chip : do you want to help me run that session ? :-)

Happy to lend a hand.  We can catch up in LV perhaps...

focused on the feature release after 4.0.0-incubating.  We're trying to sort out (1) how we
collect new feature ideas, and (2) how we organize them into release activities as I type
this.  I do know that there are many ideas that have already been proposed on the dev list
that are not records in Jira yet.

> If the user community (this list) is interested in driving a discussion around what you
would like the developers to work on, I think that would be a great thing to do.  Keep in
mind that the developers will pick and choose what they are interested in working on, but
the more information we get from our users the better!

> -chip
>
> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting and implementation services

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,