cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Kirk Kosinski <kirkkosin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Xenserver Shared Public Network
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 05:23:57 GMT
Hi, Trevor.  Unfortunately, removal of the CSP or other supplemental
packs is not possible, so you would have to reinstall XenServer.  I'm
not sure how to confirm that the CSP is causing a problem.  I guess you
can check for and disable any iptables or ebtables rules on the host
that appear to be blocking VM traffic.

The docs might not explicitly state when not to install the CSP, but
they do explain when it should be installed (to enable SG, ELB, and
EIP).  I filed a bug a while ago to request that CloudStack handle hosts
with the CSP that don't need it.  I filed it because it will probably be
required when XS 6.1 support is added (the CSP is included with XS 6.1).

Regarding the configuration, it sounds like you do need an advanced
zone, and if the application cannot work with NAT, shared networks are
the way to go.

It's possible there is another issue, but I am not clear on the
symptoms.  Hosts not pinging VMs and VMs not pinging system VMs aren't
necessarily problems.  The VMs can get DHCP from the virtual router, so
they can contact the virtual router, which is good.  If instances cannot
access your (physical) router, there may be a problem outside of
CloudStack.  Check if traffic from instances leaving the host are going
to the correct VLAN (the one with your router).  If it is, there may be
an issue with the router configuration.

Best regards,
Kirk

On 11/01/2012 08:59 PM, Trevor Francis wrote:
> Hmm, that isn't represented in the docs (3.02 or 4.0)… Not quite sure how to remove
it.

> Yes, I am running an advanced network because I have 3 physical bonds on my hosts and
it is my intent to direct assign a public ip address and a private ip address to my VMs.

> Is there a better way to skin a cat? I can't do NAT because of the nature of the application
deployed over the cloud instances.