cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Julien Garet <julien.ga...@inria.fr>
Subject Re: Cloudstack + kvm : set arch = i686
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:01:57 GMT

Le 27 nov. 2012 à 17:51, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> a écrit :

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Julien Garet <julien.garet@inria.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> We have discovered something today we didn't expect... We are using CS 3.0.2 with
KVM hypervisors. Our users want to be able to use 32 or 64 bits VMs, so, we have set up templates
using 32 or 64 bits OSes (setting OS type 32 or 64 bits accordingly), but that does not have
any impact on the VM deployed... arch option in the domain xml file is x86_64, whatever we
choose as OS Type.

>> Is there a way to deploy 32bits VMs on 64bits hypervisors ?
>>

> The arch of the operating system is different than the arch of the
> virtualized CPU (which is what I think you are referring to).
> What benefit do you expect to extract from having a virtualized 32bit
> CPU compared to a virtualized 64bit cpu? Do users that have physical
> machines in your environment note that you deployed a 32bit OS on a
> 64bit CPU?

Our users are doing continous integration on the instances and they have noticed it wasn't
a virtualized 32bits cpu ;-) It's a pain to work for researchers in computer science ! :-D

The idea behind is KVM permits 32bit virtualization on 64bits hardware, and it's quite frustrating
to just hide the truth (32bits OS on 64bits hardware).

Do we have a way to set kvm options on the guests or have Cloudstack force 32bits virtualization
on 32bits templates ?