cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jonathan Bastin <jonathan.bas...@peerpointinternet.co.uk>
Subject RE: Multiple IP's to one instance
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:35:51 GMT
I have advanced network (I use vlans).

My idea of working would be to DHCP the first ip but allocate the next X
amount to the VPS to allow the user to manually add them to the OS
themselves. Thus limiting the changes to Cloudstack and also working within
the boundaries of DHCP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Clayton Weise [mailto:cweise@iswest.net]
Sent: 16 November 2012 16:31
To: cloudstack-users
Subject: RE: Multiple IP's to one instance

That makes sense, however it only works with advanced networking and I
believe the original post to this was to allow multiple IP addresses to be
assigned in basic networking mode.

Another alternative with advanced networking in this scenario is to play
some games with NAT (which is what we currently recommend to our customers).
SSL bindings must be unique but not with IP, just with port & IP.  Our
workaround is to have clients bind SSL certs to unique ports internally and
then map 443 on the public address to something like 1443, 1444, 1445, etc
on the inside.  I agree, it's a hack as well but it stays within the
confines with what CloudStack permits and has control over.

Another way to handle this in an advanced zone would be to allow the NAT
mapping to not only allow you to tie to a specific instance but perhaps to a
free-form field where one can simply specify the internal address to map to.
So that way even though the virtual router can't assign multiple IP
addresses via DHCP, it gives the user the ability to specify a custom
internal address to map to.  And perhaps in the process, exclude that
internal address from the DHCP pool so it doesn't get assigned to another
instance creating a conflict.