cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Huser <ahu...@7five-edv.de>
Subject Re: Primary Storage
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:56:14 GMT
Hi Fabrice,

i know OpenSolaris/Solaris   Oracle it's so a thing.
I'm for more then 10 years a open source user and that
with oracle - i did no like at the beginning of this constallation.
But Oracle makes his work good i know that. The cost of one socket
are 700$ and you can use so much quantity of TB  as you will.
And you can use the full premier Support from Oracle.
Nexenta develop with the Illumos code. And the Licence are TB based.
That is not my favorite. As well the pool version from Nexenta comes
not after. Current Nexenta   Infiniband are not a usable solution.
But every can use what he will. Everyone must decide for themselves.

SRP Targets or iser are not difficult to configure. Use the SRP for
the Storage unit connection. Solaris and GlusterFS builds one Storage unit.
The GlusterFS Server export the final Volume to the Clients as well KVM,  VMWare, Hyper-V
etc.
You can use native GlusterFS, RDMA, NFS ore CIFS to export the Volume.
SRP have nothing to do with VmWare.

When you are use a 7200 SAS drive the access time are the same as a
SATA drive only the quality of the hardware are better. When you need
Performance you must use SAS drives with 15000U/m. But it's not needed
when you install SSD for ZIL/L2ARC.  ZeusRAM rocks :-)

I use dedup only at secondary stroage or on Backupserver not on Primary Storage.
When you use SSD   SATA drives then you have an cheap an fast strorage.
1TB drive cost unter 100$. Current i'm not need to save storage volume.

Which application use atime? I know "find -atime N". atime on a Storage
that stores only Virtual Disks?
I don't need the information when i have last opening the disk :-)

For a Solaris GUI take a look at napp-it
http://www.napp-it.org/

greetings from germany
Andreas