cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Murali Reddy <Murali.Re...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: CS Loadbalancer Features
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:02:27 GMT
On 29/10/12 4:15 PM, "Fuchs, Andreas (SwissTXT)"
<Andreas.Fuchs@swisstxt.ch> wrote:

>Hi
>
>In our CloudStack POC we found out that the intergrate Loadbalancer lacks
>some, for us,  mandatory feartures:
>As example:
>- active, backup configs
>- Customized health checks (request "healtcheScript.php", test answer for
>containing string)
>- url hash loadbalancing
>
>And nice to have:
>- cookie insertion
>- client source ip transparent mode for service where x-header injection
>is not working

Andi,

There is session stickiness functionality in CloudStack with support for
both application generated and load balancer generated cookies. But
support for health monitoring and URL hashing does not exist. Can you
please raise a enhancement request?

>Now the questions, as we understand CS uses HAproxy for LB. So is it
>possible to edit the HAproxy rules manually? Or will this mess things up
>with the CS config?

You could do that, but configuration is not persisted as virtual router is
stateless. On network restart, virtual router recreate etc CloudStack will
only re-configure the load balancing rules based on what configuration it
has in the CloudStack DB.

>If we inegrate a Hardware loadbalancer like the NetScaller will the full
>features of the NetScaler be available to us? If yes how, via the GUI,
>API or directly on the NetScaler?

No, full feature set of NetScaler is not directly available if you use
load balancing functionality available through CloudStack. Having said
that CloudStack has flexible networking models. In a public cloud a tenant
can launch NetScaler VPX as VM in the deployment model shown in slide 21
of [1]. In this case tenant can fully use the NetScaler functionality.
Also cloud admin can by-pass CloudStack entirely and can provision network
service using the firewall and load balancer devices not managed by
CloudStack. Downside is that CloudStack won't orchestrate setting up load
balancing and tenants can not self-service. But this may work in
enterprise/private clouds.

>And if all this is not going to work, how do you best integrate an
>External Loadbalancer? Paralell to the CS Router Appliance or behind/in
>front of the CS Router.

Can I ask what is the kind of deployment you are looking for? Do you
intend to provide LB as a service to the tenants (users)? If not, and want
fully leverage Haproxy or NetScaler's load balancing functionality then
IMO, you can restrict CS router appliance to provide just DNS and DHCP
services, and setup  data path through gateway and load balancer devices
that you can control.

-Murali

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/cloudstack/cloudstack-networking