cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Primary Storage
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:20:35 GMT
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Trevor Francis <
trevor.francis@tgrahamcapital.com> wrote:

> We are looking at building a Primary Storage solution for an
> enterprise/carrier class application. However, we want to build it using a
> FOSS solution and not a commercial solution. Do you have a recommendation
> on platform?
>
> We are really interested at putting in a caching layer (SSD) in front of
> spinning disks to speed up the VM storage layer. I'd really like to stay
> with a linux variant than doing FreeBSD, although ZFS looks really
> promising. Also, something distributed would be interesting too with
> redundancy existing at the application level. Our VMs that will attach to
> the Primary storage will be very write heavy and not really read heavy
> (think about lots of logging info).
>
> Linux guys, thoughts? Had good luck with anything recently.

Depends on the hypervisor.
Lots of folks do well with GFS2 and OCFS2, but they are showing their age
in many ways.

One of the new hot platforms is ceph, which Wido wrote RBD support for
CloudStack - so assuming you use KVM you can use RBD with Ceph and have a
nice distributed, replicated, and scalable storage platform that is pretty
performant.

--David