cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jason Davis <scr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Primary Storage
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:30:39 GMT
ZFS would be an interesting setup as you can do the cache pools like you
would do in CacheCade. The problem with ZFS or CacheCade+DRBD is that they
really don't scale out well if you are looking for something with a unified
name space. I'll say however that ZFS is a battle hardened FS with tons of
shops using it. A lot of the whiz-bang SSD+SATA disk SAN things these
smaller start up companies are hocking are just ZFS appliances.

RBD looks interesting but I'm not sure if I would be willing to put
production data on it, I'm not sure how performant it is IRL. From a
purely technical perspective, it looks REALLY cool.

I suppose anything is fast if you put SSDs in it :) GlusterFS is another
option although historically small/random IO has not been it's strong point.

If you are ok spending money on software and want a scale out block storage
then you might want to consider HP LeftHand's VSA product. I am personally
partial to NFS plays:) I went the exact opposite approach and settled on
Isilon for our primary storage for our CS deployment.