cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Trevor Francis <trevor.fran...@tgrahamcapital.com>
Subject Re: Primary Storage
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 22:49:17 GMT
ZFS looks really interesting to me and I am leaning that way. I am considering using FreeNAS,
as people seem to be having good luck with it. Can anyone weigh in here?

Trevor Francis
Partner
46 Labs | The PeerEdge Cloud
http://www.46labs.com | http://www.peeredge.net
405-362-0046 - Voice  | 405-410-4980 - Cell
trevorgfrancis - Skype
trevor@46labs.com

Solutions Provider for the Telecom Industry

On Oct 22, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Jason Davis wrote:

> ZFS would be an interesting setup as you can do the cache pools like you
> would do in CacheCade. The problem with ZFS or CacheCade+DRBD is that they
> really don't scale out well if you are looking for something with a unified
> name space. I'll say however that ZFS is a battle hardened FS with tons of
> shops using it. A lot of the whiz-bang SSD+SATA disk SAN things these
> smaller start up companies are hocking are just ZFS appliances.
>
> RBD looks interesting but I'm not sure if I would be willing to put
> production data on it, I'm not sure how performant it is IRL. From a
> purely technical perspective, it looks REALLY cool.
>
> I suppose anything is fast if you put SSDs in it :) GlusterFS is another
> option although historically small/random IO has not been it's strong point.
>
> If you are ok spending money on software and want a scale out block storage
> then you might want to consider HP LeftHand's VSA product. I am personally
> partial to NFS plays:) I went the exact opposite approach and settled on
> Isilon for our primary storage for our CS deployment.
>

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Nik Martin <nik.martin@nfinausa.com>wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/2012 10:16 AM, Trevor Francis wrote:
>>
>>> We are looking at building a Primary Storage solution for an
>>> enterprise/carrier class application. However, we want to build it using
>>> a FOSS solution and not a commercial solution. Do you have a
>>> recommendation on platform?
>>>

>> Trevor,
>>
>> I got EXCELLENT results builing a SAN from FOSS using:
>> OS: Centos
>> Hardware: 2X storage servers, with 12x2TB 3.5 SATA drives.  LSI MegaRAID
>> with CacheCade Pro, with 240 GB Intel 520 SSDs configured to do SSD caching
>> (alternately, look at FlashCache from Facebook)
>> intel 10GB dual port nics, one port for crossover, on port for up link to
>> storage network
>>
>> DRBD for real time block replication to active-active
>> Pacemaker+corosync for HA Resource management
>> tgtd for iSCSI target
>>
>> If you want file backed storage, XFS is a very good filesystem on Linux
>> now.
>>
>> Pacemaker+Corosync can be difficult to grok at the beginning, but that
>> setup gave me a VERY high performance SAN.  The downside is it is entirely
>> managed by CLI, no UI whatsoever.
>>

>>> Trevor Francis
>>> Partner
>>> 46 Labs | The PeerEdge Cloud