cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: backup a cloudstack deployment
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:09:29 GMT
Hi Nik,

The whole point of Cloud is that the applications running on them are Cloud Aware, and should
be written to cope with an element of failure.

I recommend that you do regular backups of your MySQL DBs, and also Secondary Storage.

You should have every VM running a Scheduled Snapshot routine, that way if you have a disaster,
you can recreate your architecture, and restore VMs from Snapshots / Templates

Regards

Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Nik Martin [mailto:nik.martin@nfinausa.com]
Sent: 22 October 2012 16:05
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: backup a cloudstack deployment

On 10/22/2012 09:53 AM, Julien Garet wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm currently deploying CloudStack for a private IaaS cloud, and I have a question about
how and what I should back up.
> I've read quite a lot of forums/blogs posts, telling I should only backup the mysql database,
and that's it... But what happens if my primary storage servers burn ? If my secondary storage
gets corrupted ? I think I can't just tell my users : "Oh you've lost your VMs, that's so
sad but I can't do anything for you..."

> I'm planning to do backup/replication of my primary storage and secondary storage volumes,
so that I can restore entire volumes in case of big crashes.

> What are people doing ?
>

> Julien

I depend on secondary storage and the Volume snapshotting utility to backup important VMs,
but if you want more than that, you'll want to do something like backup your secondary storage
to tape or a tertiary disk storage volume.  But I also run dual active-active SAN, so my vm
data is already on two different SAN nodes at all times, PLUS a secondary storage backup

--
Regards,

Nik

Nik Martin