cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Nik Martin <nik.mar...@nfinausa.com>
Subject Re: backup a cloudstack deployment
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:04:55 GMT
On 10/22/2012 09:53 AM, Julien Garet wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm currently deploying CloudStack for a private IaaS cloud, and I have a question about
how and what I should back up.
> I've read quite a lot of forums/blogs posts, telling I should only backup the mysql database,
and that's it... But what happens if my primary storage servers burn ? If my secondary storage
gets corrupted ? I think I can't just tell my users : "Oh you've lost your VMs, that's so
sad but I can't do anything for you..."

> I'm planning to do backup/replication of my primary storage and secondary storage volumes,
so that I can restore entire volumes in case of big crashes.

> What are people doing ?
>

> Julien

I depend on secondary storage and the Volume snapshotting utility to
backup important VMs, but if you want more than that, you'll want to do
something like backup your secondary storage to tape or a tertiary disk
storage volume.  But I also run dual active-active SAN, so my vm data is
already on two different SAN nodes at all times, PLUS a secondary
storage backup

--
Regards,

Nik