cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Clayton Weise <cwe...@iswest.net>
Subject RE: Adding Public IP Addresses in Advanced Networking
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:06:25 GMT
This is fine except that with how things are right now the tagging happens on the hypervisor
and not the VM.  So the only way to add additional VLAN'd interfaces to the virtual router
is to create a new virtual NIC for it and tie it to a tagged interface on the hypervisor.
 That's not to say that tagging couldn't happen on the virtual router instead, but it's just
not the way things are currently designed.

I know for us, we have all of our public subnets on a single VLAN so this doesn't pose any
kind of an issue for us, but it may for others in which case it would be good for somebody
to file a feature request for something like this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Patton [mailto:mpatton@inforelay.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:00 PM
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: Adding Public IP Addresses in Advanced Networking

Who cares if there are only 8 virtual NICs. Use ifaliases or define a multitude of VLAN interfaces
that are bound to a suitable set of physical interfaces.

For example I have 2 NICs in a bond connected to	16 different public IP subnets. Some have
different tags, others have the same tag but different netmasks.

there is no reason why the virtual router can't do the same.