cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Adding Public IP Addresses in Advanced Networking
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 18:14:05 GMT
On 8/14/12 11:00 AM, "Clayton Weise" <cweise@iswest.net> wrote:

>> You simply add another block, on the same VLAN or another VLAN if you
>>prefer
>
>While we're not he subject.  How does CS determine when to use the new
>block of addresses (in this case they will be on the same VLAN)?  Does it
>use one block until all of the addresses in the range specified are gone
>and move onto the next?

Clayton,

Based on code review, the allocation is random. We retrieve all FREE
public ips in the zone (from all the vlans), and allocate the first one
from the range returned.

This is not the best approach though as at first we should always try to
allocate the public ip address from the Vlan where the network already has
public Ips from; and only when there are no free ips in that vlan, move to
the next block. This approach would prevent us from hitting the Nic limit
on VirtualRouter vm as for every new public vlan a new nic is being
created. And the max number of nics on Xen can't exceed 8.

You can file an enhancement request against cloudStack for this matter.

-Alena.