cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Virtual LB with basic zone?
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 05:02:53 GMT
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Caleb Call <calebcall@me.com> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2012, at 10:35 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Caleb Call <ccall@overstock.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to setup a basic zone and be able to allow the use of load balancers
(virtual)?  I've tried setting up a couple different combination of network offerings but
I always get an error message similar to this when I setup the zone:

>>> "failed to create a guest network for basic zone. Error: Provider VirtualRouter
doesn't support services combination: [Dhcp, Dns, Lb, UserData]"

>>> So, is it possible?  If it is, what am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> It used to be possible.
>> In 2.2.x there was a concept of Elastic Load Balancer. I _think_ the
>> networking changes introduced in 3.0 broke ELB (but I could be
>> completely wrong about the reason why) , and when it was resurrected
>> it was a Netscaler-dependent feature - so it is possible, has been
>> done in the past, but certainly doesn't currently work in the 3.0.x
>> versions.
>>
>> --David
>

> Thanks David and Mice, it's too bad this is no longer supported.  Is this something that
is (or could be) on the roadmap for future development?  Seems this would be a much wanted
feature for small and/or test environments where the cost of netscalers is prohibitive and
the complexity of an advanced zone isn't needed.

> Thanks

I don't know if it is on any roadmap - but it certainly could be if
someone wanted to do the work. And hopefully a good start could be had
by looking at how it was done in 2.2.x

--David