cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Caleb Call <calebc...@me.com>
Subject Re: Virtual LB with basic zone?
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2012 04:44:36 GMT

On Aug 26, 2012, at 10:35 PM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Caleb Call <ccall@overstock.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to setup a basic zone and be able to allow the use of load balancers
(virtual)?  I've tried setting up a couple different combination of network offerings but
I always get an error message similar to this when I setup the zone:

>> "failed to create a guest network for basic zone. Error: Provider VirtualRouter doesn't
support services combination: [Dhcp, Dns, Lb, UserData]"

>> So, is it possible?  If it is, what am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> It used to be possible.
> In 2.2.x there was a concept of Elastic Load Balancer. I _think_ the
> networking changes introduced in 3.0 broke ELB (but I could be
> completely wrong about the reason why) , and when it was resurrected
> it was a Netscaler-dependent feature - so it is possible, has been
> done in the past, but certainly doesn't currently work in the 3.0.x
> versions.
>
> --David

Thanks David and Mice, it's too bad this is no longer supported.  Is this something that is
(or could be) on the roadmap for future development?  Seems this would be a much wanted feature
for small and/or test environments where the cost of netscalers is prohibitive and the complexity
of an advanced zone isn't needed.

Thanks