cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Externally Managed Clusters - pointer to more info?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:12:48 GMT
Not sure what you mean by "separation". In an XS cluster, the thing that
is shared is the pool master and the shared storage. This allows for VMs
to live/cold migrate from host to host. CloudStack still picks the host in
the cluster to start the VM. The ip addresses are not locked to any
cluster, neither is the memory. That is, a free guest ip can be assigned
to a VM in any cluster.

If you put each host in a distinct cluster, then you lose the ability to
recover from failed hosts or to put hosts in maintenance mode and yet
recover the vms that were running on those hosts.