cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: iSCSI or NFS
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:55:28 GMT
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 4:30 AM, Vladimir Melnik <v.melnik@uplink.ua> wrote:
> Good day!
>

> What will you recommend to use as primary storage based on Linux server?
> iSCSI or NFS?
>

> Am I right that NFS will be too slow for keeping VM-images?
>

> Thanks in advance!

So while my inner storage geek really likes iSCSI and there are lots
of performance tuning that you can do, I don't find that most people
are willing to do that level of tuning, and until the advent of 10GE I
am not sure that it really mattered, as network bandwidth tended to be
the limiting factor for arrays of a given size.

There have also been a number of NFS vs iSCSI performance reports done
for various hypervisors, (google for 'NFS vs iSCSI +
$hypervisor_of_choice') and they typically show that iSCSI is
marginally faster on average, but the overhead isn't worth it. So if
you are a large iSCSI shop already, feel free to use it, but NFS is
typically a lot easier to setup, and gets you 95% of the speed benefit
IMO.

--David