cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jason Davis <scr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: prodedure to shutdown the whole cloud
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:16:38 GMT
I've done this multiple times due to construction we had at our datacenter
and faulty racks (Damn you APC and you not-lined up racks!)

So there are a couple of ways to do this, so I'll speak from my experience.

1. Shut down all user VMs.
2. Place primary storage pools into maintenance, this will force SVMs to
shutdown as well. (I should say that "in theory" you can just place your
primary storage pools into maintenance mode which should force all guest
VMs to power down. However, I've never seen this work properly.)
3. Once primary storage is in maintenance mode and all VMs are powered off
you can stop/shutdown the management server.
4. Physically move your stuff.
5. Power on primary/secondary storage. Verify working. Power on Hypervisors
and verify that storage is available to them. Finally, power on management
server and remove primary storage from maintenance mode. SVMs should fire
up and once running you can start powering up guest VMs.

-Jason