cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [RFC] DevCloud, an all-in-one-box CloudStack development environment
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:28:07 GMT

The automate build process is 90% implemented, I think.
First, what the current build script did are:
1. install and config xen/xcp/network, then reboot into ubuntu dom0(devcloudsetup.sh -p)
2. create primary storage and secondary storage pool, download default templates, download
cloudstack git repo etc (devcloudsetup.sh -P)

The known stuffs left are:
1. Need to automate CloudStack management server installation. We need a preinstalled CloudStack
mgt server in DevCloud, for ordinary user. The main issue is that on master branch, DEB build
is broken, and mgt server doesn't work on Ubuntu 12.04(such as tomcat6.conf is changed, some
jar files are changed, not include in the class path etc). I manually hacked the DEB build
and then changed a lot of files to get it work.
2. Minor one: such as setting root password to "password", set dom0 mem to 512M
3. There are two default templates I haven't upload to public domain. A tiny user PV VM template(using
http://www.xen.org/files/ttylinux-i486-8.0.img + debian dom0 kernel) is created, but haven't
automated the creating process.
4. Need to document or automate the VirtualBox image or ova creating process, such as what's
the hardware configuration for the VM, what's the Port Forwarding rules we are using, etc.

The above Item 3, I can upload this two templates to public domain ASAP, don't know if any
other items anybody has interest in?

> One thing that I really liked about the OpenStack project's DevStack,
> is that it is really a set of scripts that build an environment from a
> fresh install of Ubuntu OR Fedora.  I would love if this was a goal we
> could work towards with DevCloud.

I think we can do better than DevStack:)

> Two other thoughts / questions:
>
> 1 - Did you consider using puppet recipes to configure the system?
>
> 2 - Did you consider wrapping the configuration / setup process with
> Vagrant?
>
> I'd love to help make this an easier / cleaner / more maintainable
> tool for the community.  Please do share any thoughts on how you might
> want help from others.

I thought about it before, but I am not familiar with both of these tools, so if the community
can help, that will be great!
Based on what devcloudscript.sh did, it should be doable if we move to puppet/Vagrant?