cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Evan Miller <Evan.Mil...@citrix.com>
Subject delete cluster steps in an active, multi-cluster environment
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 01:51:05 GMT
Running CloudStack Management Server:
  v3.0.2.1
On:
  [root@cumulus management]# uname -a
  Linux cumulus.eng.citrite.net 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6 19:48:22 GMT 2011 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  [root@cumulus management]#
Hypervisor :
  XenServer v6.02

Hi:

I've experimented with these steps in a live, multi-cluster environment with
a single common CSMS using shared (nfs) storage.

-          Begin -

Disabled cluster just can't be used for creating new

starting existing user vms / routers; but it still

can be used by system resources (SSVM and Console proxy).

To delete the cluster, you need to:

disable cluster

enable maintenance for the primary storage in the cluster

put hosts in cluster into maintenance mode

destroy system vms

delete hosts and primary storage

delete the cluster

-          End -

If, say, the CSMS has several active clusters sharing storage. And, I
want to delete just one of those clusters that has hosts and vms.
Is there any way to delete that one cluster without having to delete
system vms that may be in use by other clusters at the same time?

What I am getting at is how disruptive could the above steps be for
the other active clusters when deleting one cluster using the above steps?

I've done some experiments, and it looks like I may need to retain
one cluster with at least one host always running. Does that make
sense?

Regards,

Evan Miller

Citrix Systems. Inc.
Desktop and Cloud Engineering Infrastructure
4988 Great America Parkway
Santa Clara, CA 95054