cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From bruc...@v365.com.au
Subject iSCSI and Vmware Hypervisor
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 05:34:43 GMT

Hi

stupid question...Does Cloudstack support ESXi 5U1?

i had it
running on Ubuntu 10.4 using ESXi4 Hyper-visors and it worked OK. So
will it work with ESXi5? I don't see any specific statements saying it
will in the docs?

2Nd San Vs ISCSI or NFS

I have infiniband 40GB QDR
SAN from Quantastor (www.osnexus) who ive been working with this last
year to integrate Infiniband into the SAN (uses Ubuntu) so we now have a
SRP Infiniband SAN, which also does iSCSI

so the issues lately have
been ESXi 5 and 4 Drivers for SRP. There is no SRP driver for ESXi5. But
there is a new Infiniband (IB) driver which supports IP or IPOIB.

I now
have ESXi 5 working with IB ISCSI and can easily get 14GB/s i can
transfer 5GB of data on a VM to VM @450-500MB/s in 25 seconds. so its
quite fast. But not as fast as SRP

Using SRP i easily get 32GB/s on
ESXi4. (quad path MPIO) (yes GB for those reading! not Gb/s) so i can
zip data round really quickly especially Vmotions etc. I have 2 SAN head
units (12 x 1TB WD VR) in each. in Raid 5 and they happily spit out.
pushing 10GB of data to and from, takes a mere 40-50 seconds.

The
problem is i want to use ESXi5 now not 4. SRP is still a little
unstable. By that i mean some times there are connection issues with the
IB Bus and vmware takes 1-2 mins to rescan/connect to Luns. Also when
using clustered Storage for VCenter clusters, the nodes occasionally
drop the Lun access and have to be restarted to reconnect to IB SAN.
this isnt a problem with ISCSI ive noticed. But in production cloud it
would be if nodes just dropped storage randomly.

So 3rd
Question.!

does CloudStack support SAN (IB SRP) shows up as a san SCSI
device in vmware. Again i cant find any definitive answers in the
docs?

Im thinking i will run SRP for Ubuntu management servers and
internal VCenter and VM's so i get max speed with Vmotions etc. and run
the cloud nodes on ESX5 with IB_ISCSI until Mellanox and VMWare come up
with a SrP driver for esxi 5

any thoughts or comments would be
usefull.

Cheers