cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From "Mice Xia" <mice_...@tcloudcomputing.com>
Subject 绛斿: XenServer and CloudStack - HA
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 02:22:29 GMT
Hi James,

I think CS HA does protect pool master. In your environment, did HA fail every time, or occasionally?
And the way pool master die make some difference, was it a management network partition, a
public network partition, a storage network partition, or a host power down?

Regards
Mice

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: James Kahn [mailto:jkahn@idea11.com.au]
发送时间: 2012年7月15日 18:16
收件人: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
主题: XenServer and CloudStack - HA

A while ago we tested XenServer and CloudStack HA. This was with XS 6.0 and CS 3.0.

Initially with XenServer HA disabled and CloudStack HA enabled, we found that if the pool
master dies, the VMs running on that host are not restarted on other hosts by CloudStack HA
– at least for the 20 minutes we waited for something to happen. Not good. If any other host
dies the VMs are restarted promptly without issue. We assumed that this is because CloudStack
needs the pool master up.

Testing again with XS HA in use to protect the pool master, and CS HA enabled, HA functionality
works. So we're running with XS HA protecting the pool master and CS HA protecting the VMs.

We've logged a Citrix case for an XS related issue and were told by the support engineer that
his cloudstack support manager said "with cloudstack you should not use XS HA. Period. CS
has got its own HA". Which would be fine, except that CS HA doesn't work if the pool master
dies. At least with our testing.

What's the go here? Does CS HA now protect the pool master? How should we be configuring this?

Thanks,
JK.