cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Jewel Nuruddin <jewel.nurud...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: About server hardware
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:28:27 GMT
Hi,

Thank you very much, actually I have the following scenario for hypervisor.
HDD: 500 GB
RAM: 32GB
CPU 8 Core @2.9GHz

and each guest vm is
HDD: 50GB
RAM: +/- 4 GB
CPU 1 Core +/-@ 2.0 GHz
Maximum 8 guest VM

in my server two eth each  gigabit

I want to run some mysql and membase service which have huge disk I/O
So is the server configuration is OK or do i need SAS HDD or something else?

Thanks
Jewel

--- On Mon, 7/9/12, sebastien goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

From: sebastien goasguen <runseb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: About server hardware
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Cc: "jewel.nuruddin@yahoo.com" <jewel.nuruddin@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, July 9, 2012, 10:12 PM

Hi Jewel,

I agree with Abhi, you would need to describe your use case in more details.
Specifying the amount of resources needed for each VM and the hypervisor used.

If you cannot overcommit memory and want 1GB per VM, then you need at
least 8 GB RAM plus extra for hypervisor/host kernel. If you *can*
over commit then you may choose to use less RAM on the host (<8GB ofr
1GB guests).

Same thing with the number of cores, you could have only 4 or 6 cores
but run 8 VMs.

This is really a guest VM performance issue, as well as workload
profile. Hypervisor experts should be able to help with different
scenarios and identify a rule of thumb.

-Sebastien

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Abhinandan Prateek
<Abhinandan.Prateek@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Jewel,
>    If you list down the requirements for the guest VM in terms of CPU, RAM and storage
adding that to Xenserver overhead you can get the requirements for the hardware you need.
> For Xenserver overhead, simple rule of thumb is to allow 512 MB for the XenServer total
(Hypervisor plus the control domain) if there is less than 5 GB of memory in the server, and
allow 1 GB of memory if there>   Also you need to decide if you want HA, in that case
you will need some redundant hardware.

--
---
Sebastien Goasguen