cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Alena Prokharchyk <Alena.Prokharc...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: What are the steps for effectively shrinking a pod's management ip range?
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 22:37:49 GMT
On 6/4/12 3:28 PM, "Evan Miller" <Evan.Miller@citrix.com> wrote:

>Running CloudStack Management Server v3.0.1
>on Centos 6.2.
>
>Running XenServer v6.0.2.
>
>There is a single zone, single pod, single
>
>cluster and (currently) single (XenServer)
>host.
>
>I'd like to remove two ip addresses from the
>current management ip range for the pod. Then,
>I'd like to add those two ip addresses to the
>new, second pod.
>
>A set of private and management ip addresses
>
>currently exists in the existing pod.
>
>I tried a few thing, but it appears that the
>fact that I defined a set of private ips for
>the pod is preventing me from deleting the pod.
>Note: Deleting hosts is no problem.
>
>I am working in a non-production environment
>trying to determine peculiar and particular
>limits to CloudStack v3.0.1.
>
>Regards,
>
>Evan Miller
>
>Citrix Systems. Inc.
>Desktop and Cloud Engineering Infrastructure
>4988 Great America Parkway
>Santa Clara, CA 95054
>(V) and (F) 408-790-8489
>(C)         925-209-1428
>(Email)
>Evan.Miller@citrix.com <mailto:Evan.Miller@citrix.com>

Management ip addresses are not used by hosts; they are used by the system
vms (SSVM and Console proxy vms). The vms have to be stopped in order to
release these Ips. Here are the steps:

1) check which vms are using those ips:

select instance_id from nics where id in (select nic_id from
op_dc_ip_address_alloc where taken is not null);

2) put your xen hosts into maintenance mode - this has to be done to
ensure the system won't find a spot to restart SSVM and CPVM
3) stop SSVM and CPVM having ids that we got on step 1)
4) If private (management) ip addresses you want to remove, are located in
the beginning or at the end of the pod range, you can shrink the Pod range
by editing the pod. If they are not, you have to remove the pod and
reconfigure it again.

-Alena.