cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Evan Miller <Evan.Mil...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: What are the steps for effectively shrinking a pod's management ip range?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 01:15:28 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Alena Prokharchyk [mailto:Alena.Prokharchyk@citrix.com]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 3:38 PM
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: What are the steps for effectively shrinking a pod's management ip range?

On 6/4/12 3:28 PM, "Evan Miller" <Evan.Miller@citrix.com> wrote:

>Running CloudStack Management Server v3.0.1 on Centos 6.2.
>
>Running XenServer v6.0.2.
>
>There is a single zone, single pod, single
>
>cluster and (currently) single (XenServer) host.
>
>I'd like to remove two ip addresses from the current management ip
>range for the pod. Then, I'd like to add those two ip addresses to the
>new, second pod.
>
>A set of private and management ip addresses
>
>currently exists in the existing pod.
>
>I tried a few thing, but it appears that the fact that I defined a set
>of private ips for the pod is preventing me from deleting the pod.
>Note: Deleting hosts is no problem.
>
>I am working in a non-production environment trying to determine
>peculiar and particular limits to CloudStack v3.0.1.
>
>Regards,
>
>Evan Miller
>
>Citrix Systems. Inc.
>Desktop and Cloud Engineering Infrastructure
>4988 Great America Parkway
>Santa Clara, CA 95054
>(V) and (F) 408-790-8489
>(C)         925-209-1428
>(Email)
>Evan.Miller@citrix.com <mailto:Evan.Miller@citrix.com>

Management ip addresses are not used by hosts; they are used by the system vms (SSVM and Console
proxy vms). The vms have to be stopped in order to release these Ips. Here are the steps:

1) check which vms are using those ips:

select instance_id from nics where id in (select nic_id from op_dc_ip_address_alloc where
taken is not null);

2) put your xen hosts into maintenance mode - this has to be done to ensure the system won't
find a spot to restart SSVM and CPVM

> Is the CPVM = v-2-VM?

> Evan

3) stop SSVM and CPVM having ids that we got on step 1)
4) If private (management) ip addresses you want to remove, are located in the beginning or
at the end of the pod range, you can shrink the Pod range by editing the pod. If they are
not, you have to remove the pod and reconfigure it again.

-Alena.