cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: NetScaler Best Practices
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:19:39 GMT
Thanks Murali,

I think they are questions that need some answers, otherwise we're just blindly guessing.
 The virtual routers don't give any performance information out so we can't monitor them directly
to see when a NetScaler might be appropriate.

Fine-tuning capacity is ok, but we don't have a number to start with.

Paul Angus
Consultant
paul.angus@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Murali Reddy [mailto:Murali.Reddy@citrix.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:02 AM
To: cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org; cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: NetScaler Best Practices

There isn't a best practice document. At this point I doubt if there could be clear recommendation
when a customer should move from virtual router to NetScaler. Logically any customer that
want high throughput or think software load balancer in virtual router will not fit their
needs could consider a network offering that gives NetScaler as LB. As CloudStack begins to
have deeper integration (e.g. SSL termination) in upcoming releases with external devices
their value add becomes more evident.

There is no recommendation for the 'capacity' as well. This value could depend on the throughput/pps
a particular VPX/MPX/SDX device can handle or licensed for. There is no inherent notion of
tenant in the NetScaler devices (at least with MPX, VPX) based on which you can reserve  the
resources (CPU cores, throughput etc) or provide QoS guarantees. So CloudStack currently uses
simple hueristic of number of tenants a device can be used as capacity of the device. This
value is cloud admin configured and editable so he can fine tune what capacity should be.