cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject Re: Dose CloudStack support PXE boot
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:41:47 GMT
You can create a custom network offering with no DHCP, this may allow cobbler to work

Geoff

On 8 Jun 2012, at 10:28, "Jewel Nuruddin" <jewel.nuruddin@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes you are right CloudStack might not be good for cobbler because of DHCP, and Cloudstack
have already  VirtualRouter  which does dhcp for all the instances launched.

Thanks
Jewel

--- On Fri, 6/8/12, Prasanna Santhanam <Prasanna.Santhanam@citrix.com> wrote:

From: Prasanna Santhanam <Prasanna.Santhanam@citrix.com>
Subject: Re: Dose CloudStack support PXE boot
To: "cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org" <cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Cc: "cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org" <cloudstack-users@incubator.apache.org>
Date: Friday, June 8, 2012, 6:20 PM

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 04:58:59AM -0400, Jewel Nuruddin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I create a vm without ISO or template,

CloudStack did used to have a concept of "Blank ISO" before. I'm not
sure if it is usable here or not. And what happened of it.

> why I ask this because in > my environment I want to use Cobbler so
> every vm will get start from > Cobbler and install everything
> automatically.  So I need to know if CloudStack vm can support PXE boot.

Doesn't Cobbler expect to be the only DHCP server in the network? This
might not play well with the VirtualRouter of CloudStack which does
dhcp for all the instances launched.

For your auto install of packages you could consider deploying a
solution with

Chef:
http://www.opscode.com/blog/2012/02/13/chef-support-for-citrix-cloudstack/

Or