cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: How to Bundle Apps?
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 16:53:37 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Kevin <spam4kev@gmail.com> wrote:
> My users aren't very interested in deploying generic vm templates and would rather have
various prebuilt vm options (mysql database, tomcat webserver, OpenGeo, OMAR, RBAC, ...) templates
to choose from similar to AWS.

> Is there a plan for cloudstack to integrate a puppet or chef like feature so I don't
have to prebuild tons of double digit gigabyte vm templates into the secondary storage?

> It seems like a waste of space repeating the operating system like that. Would much rather
store the OS as a generic base template once and then have post install recipes that will
go through the vm after deployment and install the latest rpm's of the users choosing.

> Kevin F.

Kevin,

If you aren't doing Enstratus/Scalr/Rightscale - I've seen folks
frontend a new gui with just a few options available to users. Chatham
Financial build a node.js interface to CloudStack for that reason [1]
with a couple of different options:
1. Use something like knife/boxgrinder to provision machines
2. Use userdata as in CloudStack to act as an ENC for things like Puppet/Chef.

The nicest setup I've seen for option 2 was by Jason Hancock - and
he's spelled it all out here [2] (and given an awesome talk at
PuppetCamp LA on this)

[1] https://github.com/Chatham/node-cloudstack
[2] http://geek.jasonhancock.com/2012/02/08/running-puppet-on-cloudstack-instances/

--David