From "Sally Khudairi" ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Review] CloudMonkey v6.0.0 release announcement review request
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:18:13 GMT
Thank you, Rohit --very comprehensive!

I'll review and forward any adjustments this weekend.

Kind regards,
Sally

- - -
Vice President Marketing & Publicity
Vice President Sponsor Relations
The Apache Software Foundation

Tel +1 617 921 8656 | sk@apache.org

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, at 04:56, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> All,

> Kindly review the release announcement for CloudMonkey v6.0.0, and also share your quotes/comments
that we can use in the release wrt cloudmonkey v6.0:

> ### START ###

> <Date: 20 March 2019> — The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today Apache® CloudStack® CloudMonkey v6.0, the latest version of the turnkey
enterprise Cloud orchestration platform's command line interface tool.

> Apache CloudStack is the proven, highly scalable, and easy-to-deploy IaaS platform used
for rapidly creating private, public, and hybrid Cloud environments. Thousands of large-scale
public Cloud providers and enterprise organizations use Apache CloudStack to enable billions
of dollars worth of business transactions annually across their clouds.
> Apache CloudMonkey v6.0.0 is the latest major release since the previous major 5.x release
in September 2013. CloudMonkey v6.0.0 is a rewrite of the original tool in Go programming
language, and can be used both as an interactive shell and as a command line tool that simplifies
CloudStack configuration and management.

> Some of the new features and major changes include:
>
>  * Rewrite in Go, ships as single binary for Linux, Mac, and Windows
>  * Drop-in replacement for legacy Python-based cloudmonkey
>  * About 5-20x faster than legacy Python-based cloudmonkey
>  * Interactive UX for parameter and arg completion and selection
>  * JSON is the default output format
>  * New `column` based output
>  * Enable debug mode using `set debug true` option, file-based logging removed
>  * Per server profile based API cache
>  * New syntax `arg=@/path/to/file` to pass the content of file as API argument value
similar to `curl`
>  * Improve help docs using `-h` argument
>  * Removed: XML output, coloured output, several `set` options
>
> "This release is the work of over one year of effort and driven by the people operating
CloudStack clouds,” said Rohit Yadav, Apache CloudStack CloudMonkey v6.0 author, and release
manager. "I would like to thank the contributors across all of these organizations for supporting
this release, which reflects both the user-driven nature of our community and the Apache CloudStack
project's commitment to continue to be the most stable, easily deployable, scalable Open Source
platform for IaaS. Along with ease of installation, usage and availability of cross-platform
dependency-free builds including Windows builds, v6.0 brings many changes and optimizations
such as more interactive shell for parameter completion, faster API requests processing, server
profile specific API caching, improved API help docs and a new syntax to pass content of files
as API parameter argument." The background and story of v6.0 effort was recently blogged here:
https://www.shapeblue.com/whats-coming-in-the-new-cloudmonkey-6-0/

The community-maintained builds are available at the project's Github release page at https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-cloudmonkey/releases

> CloudMonkey's usage is documented at https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-cloudmonkey/wiki
>
> *Availability and Oversight*
> **
> Apache CloudStack software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen
by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee
(PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product
releases. For downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache CloudStack,
visit http://cloudstack.apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/CloudStack

> *About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)*
> **
> Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open
Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software.
Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 680 individual
Members and 6,500 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely
available enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of
software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates
in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user
conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded
by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, ARM,
Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One, Cash Store, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook,
Google, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Inspur, iSIGMA, ODPi, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, PhoenixNAP, Pivotal,
Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Union Investment, and Yahoo. For more information,
visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

> © The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "CloudStack", "Apache CloudStack", and "ApacheCon"
are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.