I don't want to come across as anti-OpenStack because I am not.  We use some components of OpenStack.  The problem I see is that everyone investing in OpenStack has to prove its value, which has resulted in extensive smoke and mirrors.  Because of this many companies have invested heavily in OpenStack adoption, but many of these projects fail once they get into the nuts and bolts.

In contrast, CloudStack hardly has the marketing funds to present the basics to the market.  While this has its own problems, when people choose CloudStack, they know what they are getting.  It is feature rich while still being manageable in size and scope, making it viable for companies at any scale.

It is also worth pointing out that OpenStack and CloudStack are not solving the same problems.  CloudStack solves for a subset of what OpenStack (claims to) solve for.  I think the scope of what OpenStack has tried to solve for is one of the reasons it has become so hard to adopt.

OpenStack will continue to be a contender simply due to the massive amount of money invested into it.  At some point in the future it will likely be a viable option for medium to large companies, but that is not the case yet.  We will see how the next 5 years play out...