From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:58:12 GMT

> On Apr 28, 2016, at 7:03 PM, Steve Wilson <steve.wilson@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> I agree that CloudStack works and is great technology.  However, OpenStack won the marketing
war because their foundation was set up to do so.  All attempts that Mark Hinkle and others
made to pull together a real marketing alliance to promote CloudStack as an industry initiative
seemed to run afoul of Apache rules/processes/organization.

The decision to donate the software to Apache, was Citrix’s decision.
And Apache is not a marketing alliance operating for the benefit of its sponsoring companies.

Apache operates for the public good.

If that’s what Citrix wanted to do, they should not have given Cloudstack to ASF in the
first place.

That said Cloudera and Hortonworks and Datastax and other companies have successfully built
great businesses on top of Apache software. Too bad Citrix did not manage it.

End of story

> This is an area where CloudStack could really do better.
>
> -Steve
>
> From: Will Stevens <williamstevens@gmail.com>
> Date: Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:39 AM
> To: "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org" <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research
>
> Openstack is just bitter because they still don't have a product that works and our product
works just fine.  Just goes to show that more money doesn't always solve the problem...  :)
 All that money and almost no success stories.  Kind of sad really...

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Madan Ganesh Velayudham <madanganesh@actonmagic.com>
wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Just bumped onto this article, thought of sharing:
>
> http://www.eweek.com/cloud/openstack-revenues-approaching-3.4b-451-research.html
>
> <snip>
> The decision to turn over OpenStack to a foundation in 2012 stands in contrast to the
CloudStack platform and its parent, Citrix. Citrix donated CloudStack to the Apache Software
Foundation, but it was never set up with the same true, multi-stakeholder, stand-alone foundation
as OpenStack's.

> "If Citrix would have done a foundation around CloudStack, we would now be at a Cloudstack
Summit, not OpenStack Summit," Sadowski said." Sadowski said.