From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RightScale 2016 State of the Cloud Report
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:22:42 GMT
Also according to this:

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/153447-10-tech-skills-which-will-give-you-a-big-salary.html

a cloudstack engineer makes as much as an openstack one :)

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 6:26 AM, Raja Pullela <raja.pullela@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> +1, hope we can get more concerted effort in talking about Cloudstack!
> BTW, few users do blog consistently… but there are lot more users, who can share their
experience/case studies!

we aspire to be like someone else. I feel if we focus on core strengths (the what) and highlighting
what people have solved by using us (the why), then people will start to draw their own comparisons.

> As someone who's been the face of a product the Gartner folks deem "niche" (XenServer
in case readers aren't familiar) for some years, I'm happy with focusing on the niche and
ensuring those who'e adopted XenServer are successful as a result of that choice. Their advocacy
is worth its weight in gold, and I rather like that Apache CloudStack events have users talking
openly about their successes. I feel we need to find ways to increase the reach of those user
messages.

> -tim
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Chip Childers <chipchilders@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 to what both Giles and Ian are saying.
>
> Skip the hype. Focus on real value being seen by users. Educate, don't confuse.
>

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Ian Rae <irae@cloudops.com> wrote:
> Absolutely Giles. With the Citrix exit from the community it is time for the large users
and commercial supporters to reboot the effort to build an Apache CloudStack related marketing
alliance. This can be done as a lean and agile effort, and is less about having a hype machine
and more about sharing information with the world on key use cases, success stories, etc….
That CloudStack is the dark matter of the open source cloud computing world is of benefit
to none.

> I realize most analysts and certainly much of the OpenStack community would prefer Apache
CloudStack to remain in obscurity but in the real world it has sustainable and defensible
value for use cases that OpenStack, and other vendor driven projects are unable to effectively
address.

> CloudOps has always believed the market is not an either/or proposition. We have a responsibility
to make the capabilities and key use cases widely known, especially since the Apache Foundation
cannot do it. We need to work on this now.

> Ian
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Ilya - I agree 100% - this is a really good testament to the quality of our software
and the effort by this community

> Although it gauls me slightly to have to caveat everything with "despite the marketing"
and "despite the committer base"

> We here all know that Cloudstack is the "invisible man" in this space. We all know its
in widespread adoption but it continues to not get the attention of AN Other project

> This can be changed, but we are a user led community. It can be changed by our largescale
users coming out and showing their public support for this project. We also need more vendors
to relaise that Cloudstack integration is a decent route to market for their products - but
that wont start until that user community starts speaking publically

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>

> <image002.png>
> Giles Sirett
> CEO
> ,
> ShapeBlue
> d:
> +44  20 3603 0541 | s: +44 203 603 0540
> m:
> +44 7961112055
> e:
> giles.sirett@shapeblue.com | t:
> w:
> www.shapeblue.com
> a:
> 53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK
> <image003.png>
> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India
trademark.
you have received this email in error.

OpenStack, considering that:
> 1) Marketing budget is at least 500 times less
> 2) Active committer base is 30 times smaller
> 3) Overall resources are at least 100 times less And some fairly large sized CCP customers
failed to participate in this survey.

> With limited resources we've got and numbers we showed, we are doing REALLY WELL! I think
it is a testament to job well done by everyone involved in ACS community and beyond!