From Tim Mackey <tmac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RightScale 2016 State of the Cloud Report
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 01:27:39 GMT
+100 to skip the hype.

I've always believed touting "how we compare" is disingenuous to adopters.
It assumes we aspire to be like someone else. I feel if we focus on core
strengths (the what) and highlighting what people have solved by using us
(the why), then people will start to draw their own comparisons.

As someone who's been the face of a product the Gartner folks deem "niche"
(XenServer in case readers aren't familiar) for some years, I'm happy with
focusing on the niche and ensuring those who'e adopted XenServer are
successful as a result of that choice. Their advocacy is worth its weight
in gold, and I rather like that Apache CloudStack events have users talking
openly about their successes. I feel we need to find ways to increase the
reach of those user messages.

-tim

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Chip Childers <chipchilders@apache.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>> would prefer Apache CloudStack to remain in obscurity but in the real world
>> it has sustainable and defensible value for use cases that OpenStack, and
>> other vendor driven projects are unable to effectively address.
>>
>> CloudOps has always believed the market is not an either/or proposition.
>> We have a responsibility to make the capabilities and key use cases widely
>> known, especially since the Apache Foundation cannot do it. We need to work
>> on this now.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 1:54 AM, Giles Sirett <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Ilya - I agree 100% - this is a really good testament to the quality of
>>> our software and the effort by this community
>>>
>>> Although it gauls me slightly to have to caveat everything with "despite
>>> the marketing" and "despite the committer base"
>>>

>>> We here all know that Cloudstack is the "invisible man" in this space.
>>> We all know its in widespread adoption but it continues to not get the
>>> attention of AN Other project
>>>

>>> This can be changed, but we are a user led community. It can be changed
>>> by our largescale users coming out and showing their public support for
>>> this project. We also need more vendors to relaise that Cloudstack
>>> integration is a decent route to market for their products - but that wont
>>> start until that user community starts speaking publically
>>>

>>> Kind Regards
>>> Giles
>>>

>>> [image: ShapeBlue] <http://www.shapeblue.com>
>>> Giles Sirett
>>> CEO ,  ShapeBlue
>>> d:  *+44  20 3603 0541 | s: +44 203 603 0540*
>>> <+44%20%2020%203603%200541%20%7C%20s:%20+44%20203%20603%200540>  |  m:
>>> *+44 7961112055* <+44%207961112055>
>>> e:  *giles.sirett@shapeblue.com | t: *
>>> <giles.sirett@shapeblue.com%20%7C%20t:>  |  w:  *www.shapeblue.com*
>>> <http://www.shapeblue.com>
>>> a:  53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK
>>> Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue
>>> Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under
>>> license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a
>>> company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape
>>> Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of
>>> South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is
>>> a registered trademark.
>>> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
>>> intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any
>>> views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
>>> necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you
>>> are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any
>>> action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please
>>> contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

>>> 2) Active committer base is 30 times smaller
>>> 3) Overall resources are at least 100 times less And some fairly large
>>> sized CCP customers failed to participate in this survey.
>>>
>>> With limited resources we've got and numbers we showed, we are doing
>>> REALLY WELL! I think it is a testament to job well done by everyone
>>> involved in ACS community and beyond!
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> ilya
>>>

>>> Find out more about ShapeBlue and our range of CloudStack related
>>> services:
>>> IaaS Cloud Design & Build
>>> <http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> | CSForge – rapid
>>> IaaS deployment framework <http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>