From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: CloudStack Conferences
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 17:11:36 GMT
Adrian

The problem here IS is that we're trying to tick two, quite different, boxes:
1. increase project awareness by doing MORE, smaller events for people to find out about ACS.
For me the 5 x1 day format works very well for that
2. provide an opportunity for the existing community to meet & share

The 5 x events *should* achieve the first, but I think they may be counter-intuitive to the
2nd.
However, as Arjan et al explain this all takes time & money and the situation is we haven’t
got enough of either to achieve both of these objectives

I think you have summarised really well here and suggested a very pragmatic way forward.

I really do have to agree that I don’t think Budpaest & Dublin can both fly, being so
close to each other. We should focus our efforts on one or the other.
For me, that would have to be Dublin: there is enough ACS people within an hours flight, and
I think cloudopen is likely to be a better attended event than apachecon
Of course, I would love to see both being successful (especially since I just paid to sponsor
them all :-) )  - but I don’t think we've got enough cycles between us to get 2 x agendas
organised - if somebody thinks different and is prepared to take on a 2nd agenda within a
week , please shout

Hopefully there will be enough critical mass for Austin & Seattle. I don’t think Tokyo
will be a problem at all

Although I am always fearful of trying to do DIY conferences - I think, if we can find the
space to bolt on a community day (or two) around the Dublin event, we could probably overcome
the objections that many people have of not wanting to travel for only a 1 day event.

We can get the EU user group people involved (looking back at people like you Adrian :-) )
 and combine our autumn meeting and I'm SURE we can find some meeting space in Dblin for a
couple of days

Thinking about it: there is also  another way of looking at this.
The cloudstack day in Dublin is co-located with linux cloud open. These a really good events
(I've been to the last two)  - they have a big attendance  and they are, well, focussed on
"open cloud" - that’s us !
At last years, there were 4 (I think) ACS talks at cloudopen.
Theres nothing to stop us, as a community, submitting talks to that conference and using it
as somewhere to "congregate".
If we ask very very very nicely - we could maybe find out if theres a spare room during that
event we could use for a hackathon stlye thing  for Cloudstack

Either way: I think we could, as a community, decide to be at one of these en mass

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.