From sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Conferences
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:48:00 GMT

On Mar 5, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Morning folks,
>
> This is a good point, however like Chip mentioned we would need sponsors.
>
> Organizing a 3 day event is a big task, you need to find a location that suits people,
you need to pay for that location, you need a program, you need attendance, you need sponsors
etc.

> For Amsterdam, Schuberg took the lead role. Citrix was the main financial backer with
Schuberg. I believe it basically took ~3 people full time from Schuberg for several months
to organize things the way it was, plus a lot of time and energy from other folks to get sponsors,
drive attendance etc. The event cost ~200k euros and was in the black at the end (no secret
there).

> For Denver and Budapest we aligned with the ASF and leveraged the Linux Foundation to
do the logistics and help get sponsors. It worked out but it is still a lot of effort to get
the program together, help LF reach out to sponsors etc. As a side note, even though these
were 3 day events, lots of folks arrive on tutorial day, spend the keynote day and leave at
night or in the morning. That's why I pushed for a poster session at the end of Budapest,
because typically folks leave before and we end up with semi empty sessions in the last afternoon.

> The bottom line is that it is a question of cost, attendance, who takes the lead in planning
and what does the event look like. We could organize three day events much cheaply. Something
that comes to mind is configuration management camp in Ghent. It drives 400 people, is hosted
at the university. There is almost no sponsors/booth, no signage, no video recording, very
little lunch etc. But if we want something like Denver or Budapest, we are looking at 6 figures
plus the human investment.

> CloudStack is a brand owned by this community, so anyone here is free and should feel
entitled to organize its own CloudStack Day close to home. Norway, India etc. It could be
a 30 people event or it could grow into its own 300/500 people event. The Japanese community
for example organizes CloudStack Japan on their own and drives 500 people.

> Now all these 1 day events are co-located (before, after or during) the linuxcon events
(cloud open, KVM forum, Xen summit, Kernel summit etc). So I am sure you can justify going
for 3 days, attend the other LF events and attend the CloudStack day. I do think there is
better alignment with LF events than with other ASF projects. Sadly the Apachecon itself is
not a large conference, and I don't think we got the cross-pollination we were hoping. LF
events are much bigger (Dusseldorf in the fall was 1,500 people).

> The risk I do see with 1 day event is that we get fragmented and that we don't see each
other that often.

> To conclude, it is key that everyone on our lists feels entitled to do things and take
the lead. In some sense there is no such thing as us vs. "the organizers". We are all the
organizers of these conferences. It is a matter of who has the time and the will to step up
and lead these events (1 or 3 days ) and who will attend.

> -If you have the time, can you take the lead and organize another 1 day event closer
to home ?
> -If you have time, can you take the lead on one of those scheduled events and take on
the program planning ?
> -If you have funds, can you sponsor the event ?
> -if you have space, can you donate it for an event ?

 I should have added that we just had CloudStack day Brazil, led by Marco Sinhorelli, he pulled
it off on his own.
With a location from University of Sao Paulo I believe (a cloudstack user). They had over
200 people.

-sebastien

> -sebastien
>

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 2:01 AM, Erik Weber <terbolous@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:45 AM, ilya musayev <ilya.mailing.lists@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Am i right in assuming that we no longer going to have 3 day long conferences and
instead 5 separate cloudstack day events? It does makes sense as it helps with awareness,
but..

>> Looking at it from my employers side, as well as my personally - its a bit hard to
justify a trip for just one day :( On average, a person would have to travel a night before
and leave a day later to make the most of it. That is 2 days spent in transit to attend 1
day event.

>> Lets see how this works out, but i really think we need at least 1 event that is
longer than a day - so we can have a community get together that many would be able to attend.

>> I must agree.
>>
>> Unless you live near one of the airline hubs you'll most likely have to travel three
days anyway.
>> In my case I have to travel the night before to get there before 1PM, and as anyone
would want to attend the night events (that's usually where I personally get most out of the
conference) I have stay a night longer.

>> Justifying a three day trip to attend a one day event is significantly harder than
justifying a four day (we usually arrive a bit later on the first day) trip to attend a three
day event.