From Adrian Lewis <adr...@alsiconsulting.co.uk>
Subject RE: CloudStack Conferences
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:01:50 GMT
My opinion (not sure how much it counts but anyway) is that there are a
number of problems here that could be solved with relative ease. Looking
in particular at Dublin/Budapest, I'd say that these are very good
candidates for merging. The issues I see with having these as separate
events are:

1. Being a relatively small community still, we should aim to get together
physically as much as possible. Mailing lists are great but it's getting
people together that seems to make stuff happen. Communities don't work
well if they're split up. Clearly, a single global conference causes other
issues but fragmenting unnecessarily seems counter-productive to me.

2. As already mentioned, most visitors will need to fly and the difference
between the cost of a flight to Budapest vs a cost of a flight to Dublin
for most candidates for either event will not be all that significant when
all costs for attending are added up.

3. We may not have big sponsors, pots of cash to spare, or unlimited
organisational resources so combining the two venues would surely help
immensely in that regard. Economies of scale come into it as sponsors are
more likely to want to chip in if there's greater attendance at a single
event than two smaller ones.

4. People are less likely to bother even registering (or getting expenses
approved) if, as many have already mentioned, the event is just a single
day and justifying the efforts/costs then becomes a real issue. I
understand that previously colocated events with ApacheCon haven't
actually resulted in many people going to both. Ilya has mentioned this as
well.

In addition to combining the two events, I think that it should be
relatively easy to have a single 'official' day that is well funded and
organised but have one (or even two) day events before or after the main
event that can be informally organised by the community. Call them
hackathons if you will but not necessarily dedicated to writing code -
perhaps conduct panel discussions around marketing, direction of the
project, different use-cases (or markets), and some coding as well. If
ShapeBlue were interested in doing some 'sample chapters' of their
training courses as well I'm sure that would go down well for those new to
ACS (perhaps the day before the main event). These additional days could
be done without any AV, catering, presents, sponsored evening events etc.
I'm quite sure most people wouldn't complain about buying their own
drinks/food.

As for a venue however, this is the hole in my argument. Is it safe to say
that there are enough ACS types in Dublin that something could be
organised? Would Paddy Power be able to supply meeting rooms for example?
Is there an academic community in Dublin that might be happy to assist
with these sorts of informal events? Even a hotel with a bar/restaurant
might be willing if we agreed to a minimum spend on food/drink and that
we'd put it as the top listed suggestion for where to stay when attending.
They might even give us a discount on rooms.

Obviously if it appears that we do have resources to improve these
additional informal days then great but in terms of commitment, we could
set a much lower requirement vs trying to run a full two or three-day
event. Doesn't mean that the event can't autoscale with demand!

How does that resound with everyone?

Adrian