From Karen Vuong <karen.vu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [OPEN PLANNING MEETINGS] CloudStack Days 2015
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 01:44:03 GMT

From: Karen Vuong [mailto:karen.vuong@citrix.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 2:56 PM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: angela@linuxfoundation.org; David Nalley; sebastien goasguen (runseb@gmail.com); John
Subject: RE: [OPEN PLANNING MEETINGS] CloudStack Days 2015

From: Giles Sirett [mailto:giles.sirett@shapeblue.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 10:36 AM
To: marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: angela@linuxfoundation.org<mailto:angela@linuxfoundation.org>; David Nalley; sebastien
goasguen (runseb@gmail.com<mailto:runseb@gmail.com>)

Hi Karen et al
Its great to see this progressing
I'm sure some of these things will get covered off in the planning meetings, but these are
a random set of thoughts/questions from me:

1.       I fully support this new format, as I feel it allows us to reach a much broader audience,
 but I think they are going to be quite different events to CCC - more about attracting new
people than the "existing" community getting together.

2.        does mean that the  existing   community people (i.e. us !)  are going to be spread
thin at each event. To that extent, 5 x CFP's is going to to be some work

3.       Have we any idea on the format?  I notice on TLF website, that theyre talking about
a plenary morning and then breakouts. Have we any idea how many sessions there are to fill
at each one ?
Angela will go over the logistics of the main meeting room and hackathon room at the first
meeting on March 10th. The number of sessions wanted, length of sessions and selection of
talks is entirely up to the community.  We just need to tell Angela what we would like to
do :)

4.       My suggestion would be to give one person "lead" responsibility for the CFP for each
event. Yes, the actual selection can be done by a committee (open to the whole community)
but from experience it takes somebody to drum up interest and herd the cats.
For example, I'd be happy to take the lead on Dublin, maybe David on Austin,etc
Currently, we have David Nalley taking the lead for the CloudStack Days Austin CFP. Sebastien
is taking the lead for CloudStack Days Budapest CFP. The Japanese CloudStack User Group is
taking the lead on CloudStack Days Japan CFP. You are taking the lead for CloudStack Days
Dublin CFP. We do need one person to take the lead on CloudStack Days Seattle CFP - does anyone
want to take that? John Kinsella? :)

5.       Have we engaged with the guys in JPN ? - I'm sure they'll have no problem filling
their day :)
Yes, we have engaged with the Japanese CloudStack User Group. Angela has filled them in on
Cloudstack Days Tokyo. She has ensured that they are aware that CloudStack Days Tokyo is their
event and the Linux Foundation is helping with logistics. She's doing an amazing job there.
Noriaki Fukuyasu with the Linux Foundation is going to help with sponsorships for CloudStack
Days Tokyo.

6.       To save work: maybe discuss having repeatable content for the plenary ? If we can
collectively work on that content, then its less of a burden for whoever has got to stand
up on the day
Let's discuss this during the first planning meeting so we can get a consensus from everyone
on the call.

7.       It may be sensible to try and co-ordinate *who* from the existing community is going
to be at each event.

8.       Risk: I initially had the thought that it would be nice if PMC/committers all "aimed"
for one of these events  - so we could all get together (which we may miss with this new format).
In hindsight, I think that could present a real risk to the success of the events (i.e. if
committers, etc all go to, say, Seattle, it may leave the others very short of people to speak
,etc)
So, bad idea, but I have to ask the question: how do we stop that happening anyway ? i.e.
a critical mass building up around one of the events
Let's discuss this during the first meeting.

Looking forward to the first meeting
Great! I'll forward you the calendar invitation now.

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055