From Giles Sirett <giles.sir...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: [OPEN PLANNING MEETINGS] CloudStack Days 2015
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:36:28 GMT
Hi Karen et al
Its great to see this progressing
I'm sure some of these things will get covered off in the planning meetings, but these are
a random set of thoughts/questions from me:

1.       I fully support this new format, as I feel it allows us to reach a much broader audience,
 but I think they are going to be quite different events to CCC - more about attracting new
people than the "existing" community getting together.

2.        does mean that the  existing   community people (i.e. us !)  are going to be spread
thin at each event. To that extent, 5 x CFP's is going to to be some work

3.       Have we any idea on the format?  I notice on TLF website, that theyre talking about
a plenary morning and then breakouts. Have we any idea how many sessions there are to fill
at each one ?

4.       My suggestion would be to give one person "lead" responsibility for the CFP for each
event. Yes, the actual selection can be done by a committee (open to the whole community)
but from experience it takes somebody to drum up interest and herd the cats.
For example, I'd be happy to take the lead on Dublin, maybe David on Austin,etc

5.       Have we engaged with the guys in JPN ? - I'm sure they'll have no problem filling
their day :)

6.       To save work: maybe discuss having repeatable content for the plenary ? If we can
collectively work on that content, then its less of a burden for whoever has got to stand
up on the day

7.       It may be sensible to try and co-ordinate *who* from the existing community is going
to be at each event.

8.       Risk: I initially had the thought that it would be nice if PMC/committers all "aimed"
for one of these events  - so we could all get together (which we may miss with this new format).
In hindsight, I think that could present a real risk to the success of the events (i.e. if
committers, etc all go to, say, Seattle, it may leave the others very short of people to speak
,etc)
So, bad idea, but I have to ask the question: how do we stop that happening anyway ? i.e.
a critical mass building up around one of the events

Looking forward to the first meeting

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055