From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OPEN PLANNING MEETINGS] CloudStack Days 2015
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2015 08:22:41 GMT

On Feb 27, 2015, at 5:56 PM, Karen Vuong <karen.vuong@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi Giles,
>
> Answers are inline.

are a random set of thoughts/questions from me:

> 1.       I fully support this new format, as I feel it allows us to reach a much broader
audience,  but I think they are going to be quite different events to CCC – more about attracting
new people than the “existing” community getting together.

> 2.        does mean that the  existing   community people (i.e. us !)  are going to be
spread thin at each event. To that extent, 5 x CFP’s is going to to be some work

> 3.       Have we any idea on the format?  I notice on TLF website, that theyre talking
about a plenary morning and then breakouts. Have we any idea how many sessions there are to
fill at each one ?

> Angela will go over the logistics of the main meeting room and hackathon room at the
first meeting on March 10th. The number of sessions wanted, length of sessions and selection
of talks is entirely up to the community.  We just need to tell Angela what we would like
to do J

> 4.       My suggestion would be to give one person “lead” responsibility for the
CFP for each event. Yes, the actual selection can be done by a committee (open to the whole
community) but from experience it takes somebody to drum up interest and herd the cats.
> For example, I’d be happy to take the lead on Dublin, maybe David on Austin,etc
>
> Currently, we have David Nalley taking the lead for the CloudStack Days Austin CFP. Sebastien
is taking the lead for CloudStack Days Budapest CFP. The Japanese CloudStack User Group is
taking the lead on CloudStack Days Japan CFP. You are taking the lead for CloudStack Days
Dublin CFP. We do need one person to take the lead on CloudStack Days Seattle CFP – does
anyone want to take that? John Kinsella? J

> 5.       Have we engaged with the guys in JPN ? – I’m sure they’ll have no problem
filling their day J

> Yes, we have engaged with the Japanese CloudStack User Group. Angela has filled them
in on Cloudstack Days Tokyo. She has ensured that they are aware that CloudStack Days Tokyo
is their event and the Linux Foundation is helping with logistics. She’s doing an amazing
job there. Noriaki Fukuyasu with the Linux Foundation is going to help with sponsorships for
CloudStack Days Tokyo.

> 6.       To save work: maybe discuss having repeatable content for the plenary ? If we
can collectively work on that content, then its less of a burden for whoever has got to stand
up on the day

> Let’s discuss this during the first planning meeting so we can get a consensus from
everyone on the call.

> 7.       It may be sensible to try and co-ordinate *who* from the existing community
is going to be at each event.

> 8.       Risk: I initially had the thought that it would be nice if PMC/committers all
“aimed” for one of these events  - so we could all get together (which we may miss with
this new format). In hindsight, I think that could present a real risk to the success of the
events (i.e. if committers, etc all go to, say, Seattle, it may leave the others very short
of people to speak ,etc)
> So, bad idea, but I have to ask the question: how do we stop that happening anyway ?
i.e. a critical mass building up around one of the events

My feeling is that folks will gravitate towards the closest conference for them. The risk
is that we get a bit fragmented (so I actually am more worried about the exact opposite than
you :) ) but the advantage is that we grow stronger regional communities

> Let’s discuss this during the first meeting.
>

> Looking forward to the first meeting
>
> Great! I’ll forward you the calendar invitation now.
>

> Kind Regards
> Giles
>
> D: +44 20 3603 0541 | M: +44 796 111 2055
> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com

for CloudStack Days 2015. There will be CloudStack Days Planning meetings held every other
Tuesday beginning on Tuesday, March 10th, 2015 9:00am – 9:40am Pacific.

> Open to the community - the planning calls are open to the community. Feel free to share
your feedback, ideas and suggestions on these calls. If you would like to join, please send
me a note and I will send you the meeting invitation.

> CFP Committee – if you are an Apache CloudStack committer and would like to volunteer
to help review and vote on proposals for a specific CloudStack Day, please reach out to Sebastien
Goasguen and David Nalley (cc’d). The CFP for CloudStack Days Austin will open next week.

> Sponsors – Cloud Foundry has signed up to sponsor all five CloudStack Days. Thank you!
There are several other companies that are currently considering. Sponsorship prospectus can
be found here:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-seattle/sponsor

> Registration – CloudStack Days 2015 is free to attend.
>
> Bi-monthly updates – I will be sending bi-monthly updates from the CloudStack Days
planning calls to the CloudStack marketing list.

> Meeting notes are located here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZnA88_UWyHjIVEZTBuC2JdgdTzdE2BgK2m98jiI7Uqc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Websites:
>
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-austin
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-tokyo
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-seattle
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-budapest
> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/cloudstack-dublin
>
> Thanks,
>
> Karen

> IaaS Cloud Design & Build
> CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework
> CloudStack Consulting
> CloudStack Software Engineering
> CloudStack Infrastructure Support
> CloudStack Bootcamp Training Courses