From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Latest Blog Post
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2015 21:33:53 GMT
Hello, everyone --I wanted to step in and clarify some items.

Daan wanted to know the opinion of ASF Marketing & Publicity; below is my position as
its Vice President.
1) the ASF is vendor-neutral. This means that all Apache projects are so as well.

2) showcasing successful implementations, deployments, and use cases is important in demonstrating
project diversity, particularly in terms of "who uses you?".

3) sharing software vendor/service provider/user progress is A Very Good Thing, and is important
in demonstrating project robustness, particularly in terms of "how are people using you?".
If doing so includes items such as Ikoula sharing news of their recent award, Shapeblue's
latest consulting offering, or Citrix's new product development, there should be no reason
that can't be freely shared amongst our community, preferably on this list. In preparation
of Giles' briefing with Forrester tomorrow I was able to list more than a hundred organizations
that are using CloudStack --how/where else would we be able to learn about this?
4) some ways that Apache CloudStack can showcase capabilities/successes whilst maintaining
vendor neutrality can be through tweeting success stories. Examples of what we've tweeted
as part of the @TheASF's "Did You Know?" campaign include:

 - Did you know that Apache #Tika + #OODT power #NASA's just-launched #SMAP instrument ground
data processing system?
 - Did you know that Facebook recently completed a 30 petabyte migration using #Apache #Hadoop
and #Hive?
 - Did you know that #Apache #Hadoop, #MapReduce, #Mahout, and #Pig form the anti-spam analytic
platform for Yahoo!Mail?

 - Did you know that @Apache_OODT is an integral part of the data infrastructure for @SKA_telescope,
the world's largest radio telescope?
 - Did you know that @CommonCrawl use #Apache #Nutch to crawl billions of Web pages in a Cloud
environment? - Did you know that you can now run @googlechrome apps across #mobile platforms
using #Apache #Cordova?
 - Did you know that #Apache #Tomcat powers 15 TB of data daily for Aftonbladet.se, the largest
website in Sweden?
 - Did you know that #Apache #OpenOffice provides $21M in value per day?
 - Did you know that #Apache #OODT helps power @MarsCuriosity downstream data archiving for
#NASA Planetary Data System?
 - Did you know that with #Apache PDFBox you can create, manipulate, and extract content from
PDF documents?

 ... and so on. There are many great stories to tell with Apache CloudStack! Let's celebrate
that.

5) CloudStack isn't the first project to come to the ASF with an already-established user
base. We've had dozens of projects originating from a particular organization, and there are
often growing pains as the project settles in.

I'm confident you'll agree we have a talented, passionate, diverse community that stands firmly
behind an exceptional, robust, proven product.

Yes, the request to promote a vendor's product on Twitter was in error.

Let's remember that we will need these success stories as well as access to those working
tirelessly behind scenes to help bolster the CloudStack community through MeetUps, Collaboration
Conference, and other outreach/education events.

I know we all want to do the right thing. Let's acknowledge this as a lesson learned and move
on. There are so many bigger things ahead for us. Go Apache!

If there are any confidential items that need addressing, please forward to the CloudStack
press list, or to me at the ASF Marketing & Publicity <press@apache.org>.

Thanks,
Sally
= = = = =