From Chandler Vaughn <cvau...@codero.com>
Subject Re: Negative Press
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:10:57 GMT
Folks -
This isn’t a Citrix issue. This is a Apache Cloudstack community issue. Having been a part
of the decision to open source parts of Rax code to fragment the market against AWS, I can
say a key reason it was approved and invested in was that along with it came a strong market
and community focus. One that secured partners, forced them to be vocal and evangelize, and
built a strong marketing message about changing the industry to carry forward and build upon.
The mission of the Openstack Foundation is just that… to make sure it survives and thrives.
Don’t get me wrong, I believe in the Apache way. But there are certain missing components
we are suffering from.

Citrix has done a lot just to get us where we are today. Without their incubation of Cloud.com,
we would have nothing… or more to the point, we would have Openstack and only that. But
once its an ACS project, the baton is in another camp. Citrix has a revenue related agenda
and are subject to distinct pressures that will always take precedent.

>From a community standpoint, likely the biggest impact that’s been made has been Shapeblue…
because they are involved, and talk about it. And honestly, watching on the sidelines, without
their code contribution and leadership on the project in general, it would leave a lot to
be desired. But to Giles point, ACS is still associated with Citrix in the minds of many…
but that’s actually the ACS communities fault… that’s not on Citrix. They did their
part.

Whats missing here is visibility into the successful deployments of ACS, coordinated community
evangelization and proselytizing, and ease of setup to try it out (but that’s a whole different
ax to grind). Its not about CCP… its about ACS, its ease of use, its quality, and the message
carried forward by us. People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it. So one way
or another, we have to crank the nut on ‘why’ ACS, and ‘why’ developers (and eventually
businesses) will want to be a part of it. Everything else falls from that.

All that said, the answer lies somewhere in us counteracting the tide that Giles and Sunando
are pointing out. For that, we need a preponderance of evidence to the contrary… for ACS.

-cv

Chandler Vaughn
SVP, Product Development
cvaughn@codero.com
(TEL) 913.890.7770
(FAX) 913.890.7701

From: Geralyn Miller <geralyn.miller@citrix.com<mailto:geralyn.miller@citrix.com>>
Date: Monday, January 26, 2015 at 4:37 PM
To: "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>" <marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<mailto:marketing@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
Sunando Bhattacharya <sunando@indiqus.com<mailto:sunando@indiqus.com>>
Subject: RE: Negative Press

Sunando—
Citrix has roughly 30 case studies on CloudPlatform: http://www.citrix.com/customers.html?searchtype=category&product=cloudplatform&industry=all-industry&solution=all-solution<http://cp.mcafee.com/d/5fHCN0idEI9FIEECzB5wTsSDsQsIIcTvupdFTd7bb3dT4QPqtPhOOMPtZVYSCyOCqeknAnbCX6tr8AU0GRkfznBPtGEv6LbCTLhIVpx_HYyep7e3KLsKCOyqeupvv73CumKDp55l6UXBgY-F6lK1FJ4SyMrLOtXTLuZXTdTdw0HiD6gvO-mrFeGLNFMe9k_oS9Pbbutrp-hH4IQ40gJ6G3tFDmfGSwIvITqNlq208B11KAUBzJffbOwwTisiPgg15aDJPBm1SDDBWlfrDaI3qKNa_ek29ufPrz0KOMehbScWSh9MeJl3URVs5mfGSxiuSaZGSS9_M04S-Y-OMr1oQAq80pV7pOc-q80J7WkdEL6-6_Sqg86>
This includes  a number of video case studies that were created as a part of the Citrix Customer
Innovation Awards. Some of the more recent videos include Autodesk http://www.citrix.com/customers/autodesk-en.html?product=cloudplatform<http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsScz8wrhojjphhd7ab1KVJeVEVpopK-YOrjKqemm6rK9FCQXCzBBxCXXPVJd5BcQsEL8KndScWSh9M1lGEv6LbCXlg-dundLuzpOP3_nV4sOes7tuVtdB4QsYO--e7cYJteOaaGdNTaxVZicHs3jqpJ5wTvAXTLuZXTKrKr01mBecw_BYITitlvzjdrDl3W5i_MU74BERgrJcWNZmQ5zZCXmaFJnoBvDa14L7VJNwnpo78BX6tr8AU7mGxYqYK2H7RrgFfr5uRrr4_U02rvuvpodwIqid40cYzIV6vd40mzZa6Qnzsa1PqsGv>,
BT http://www.citrix.com/customers/bt-global-services-en.html?product=cloudplatform<http://cp.mcafee.com/d/avndxNJ5xddB54QsEI6XCQXCzBBxCXXP9JeVEVpopKUCCrjKqemm6rLLfCQQmkPhOyYyVsToPHp4D05mGxYqYKrJl3URVsSZWdDbcfZvAhP8VMtRXBQSkjhPPbXUUsPORQX8EGET7sG7DR8OJMddICQm3t-jLuZXTLuVKVI05qkUO3-nOPt9Rl-dc8jbAjWAdfbQ-9ClLEn-70UAJ6G3tFDmfGSwIvITqNldGX4HYVg8BU_dKc2Xb0V4LoPHp4D0WRkfznBMlo-Hq59XoHSHroD_00jrXPXb1I5zihEw1DAtD8PVEw2QvFgSyYrJYv3>,
University of Sao Paulo http://www.citrix.com/customers/university-of-sao-paulo-en.html?product=cloudplatform<http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsSd6Qm4QSkkjhOyMrKrjKqemm6rLLcCQXCzBBxCXyqpJeVEVpopK-Y-rjhpjd7abObBPtzeJAis0lqG7NHOVKRkfznBPrTESsIM_R-h7czD1TnKnjphd7fcLLzxPfbnjIyyGzstOEuvkzaT0QSMrhodTVeZXTLuZXCXCM0lFjz8fVvbdQDlnUQNK4zfNFapoLlQLjqBRJrfGn-70UAJ6G3tFDmfGSwIvITqNldGX4HYVg8BU_dKc2Xb0V4LoPHp4D0WRkfznBMlo-Hq59XoHSHroD_00jrXPXb1I5zihEw1DAtD8PVEw2QvFgSyYr8_rf>.
On the SoMe side of things, check out @citrixcloud, @citrixready (partner-related activity),
and of course, @citrix.  For blog activity, see blogs.citrix.com and search on “cloudplatform”.
We are also talking about CloudPlatform-based clouds in the context of our core workloads,
XenApp and XenDesktop. XenApp/XenDesktop 7.5+ support direct provisioning to a CloudPlatform-based
cloud, and we are running a verification program for CloudPlatform-based IaaS providers, details
here http://www.citrix.com/cms/ready/iaas-cloud-for-xendesktop/<http://cp.mcafee.com/d/2DRPoOd6Qm4QSkkjhOyMrKrjKqemm6rLLcCQXCzBBxCXyqpJeVEVpopK-Y-rjhpjd7abObBPtzeJAis0lqG7NHOVKRkfznBPrTESsIM_R-h7czD1TnKnjphd7fcLLzxPfbnjIyyGzstOEuvkzaT0QS-rhodTVeZXTLuZXCXCM0lFjz8fVvbaQOfWwmOmXgLo-Hq1tSIiUvY4fElDlr3qKNa_ek29ufPrz0KOMehbScWSh9MeJl3URVs5mfGSxiuSaZGSS9_M04S-Y-OMr1oQAq80pV7pOc-q80J7WkdEL6RxJdSJIH>.
We also have quite a bit of Citrix TV content on YouTube, including some CloudPlatform Master
Class segments, CloudPlatform partner interviews from Citrix Synergy, etc.
Hope this helps.
-geralyn